There are so many “healthy version” recipes on the internet that its hard to know which ones will taste almost like the real deal and which ones end up tasting like a dead foot. I have fallen victim many times thinking I’ll be eating a healthy and delicious dessert only to tip it down the sink and reach for the tub of Rocky Road ice cream anyway.
So why did I give this one a try? Well, I love chocolate mousse. Of all the desserts you can buy at a restaurant I will always pick the chocolate mousse even when its wearing some fancy pants and they’re charging me $18 for it. It’s creamy and fluffy and almost every buffet serves it.
So you’re wondering if I’m about to tell you that this is the bee’s knees of chocolate mousse recipes, I’m not. But I will tell you that its good for you, because you need healthy fats to keep your body going so why not at dessert time? This recipe is a rich, smooth, chocolate lover’s heaven on a spoon so if you’re wanting a healthy alternative or have always wanted to give this dessert a chance then I urge you to try my recipe because it is so good my friends and takes only a few moments to prepare!
- 2 avocados (skin and seeds removed)
- 50g cacao powder
- 10mls vanilla essence*
- 50mls honey
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Place the avocado into a food processor and blend until completely smooth.
2. Place the remaining ingredients into the food processor and blitz for 1 – 2 minutes.
3. Spoon mixture into glasses and chill for at least 3 hours before devouring to ensure you get that gooey mousse texture.
If you’re looking to impress friends, why not top the glasses with cocao nibs, chopped nuts or coconut flakes – all delicious and won’t ruin the integrity of your dessert!
* If you prefer you can substitute the vanilla for mint but wait until the ingredients are combined and then add a few drops as a time making sure to blend and taste after each addition. Mint can quickly overpower the rest of the flavours.
Enjoy Spoon-fillers, let me know if you give it a go or if you have a variation that you think our readers will love!